IMPORTANT UPDATE

Thank you for finding this blog! I am in the process of moving over to a new website found at www.adventureswithpeps.com please do join me over there. It looks a lot nicer.

Book Review 98 // Prospero Burns by Dan Abnett

A break is as good as a rest and for the last few weeks, I've been reading a few non-Black Library Novels, not many but some. I've also been lining up my reading lists and I am happy to report that there will be some Dredd novels and Stephen Kings coming up, along with some Predator novels. It's weird to think we are in the final quarter of 2021 and this will be book 40 of the year for me (according to Goodreads), with this in mind do you want to see an end of year review of the reviews? Ha. Sounds stupid typing it out, but was thinking something along the lines of top five novels and why. Let me know in the comments.

Now to return to the Horus Heresy book 15 - Prospero Burns.

Book Details

Title: Prospero Burns.

Author: Dan Abnett

Publisher: Black Library

Type: E-Book

Page Count: 444

Commercial Fluff: The Emperor is enraged. Primarch Magnus the Red of the Thousand Sons Legion has made a terrible mistake that endangers the very safety of Terra. With no other choice, the Emperor charges Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves, with the apprehension of his brother from the Thousand Sons' homeworld of Prospero. This planet of sorcerers will not be easy to overcome, but Russ and his Space Wolves are not easily deterred. With wrath in his heart, Russ is determined to bring Magnus to justice and bring about the fall of Prospero.

Review

A book of two halves and unfortunately the first half is dull. It is shown through the eyes of a remembrancer Kasper Hawser who becomes a verbal history keeper for the Wolves. This section of the book is just flashbacks after flashbacks, that just slows down the reading pace to a crawl. I seriously contemplated putting away the book in favour of another title, but I pushed on. The book starts to gain momentum in the final chapters but at this point, the damage is done and no amount of the Wolf King or Prospero actually burning can save the title.

I hate to sound negative especially about an Abnett novel, but this was dull. It's my own fault as I expected battles with the Thousand Sons, I expected the Rout matching to war, I expected Russ in full battle mode, I expected more than what I was given. In an attempt to be positive it gave some good insight to the Space Wolf legion but nothing unknown if you have read some other titles. Overall go into this book with caution. Let me know your thoughts below in the comments and please subscribe, it brings a smile to my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed the post? I would love to hear your thoughts and start a conversation on the topic. If you have time please do hit follow.

Thank you for stopping by.

Search This Blog

Warlord Games Unboxing - SJS Judge Gerhart - 2000 AD - Judge Dredd

Let me welcome you to another Warlord Games Unboxing. This is the SJS Judge Gerhart kit from the  Rebellion x 2000 AD x Warlord Games wargam...